The History Of The World. In Five Bookes. [1634 Maps, Illustrations)
by Ralegh [Raleigh], Sir Walter. 1552?-1618
- Very Good with no dust jacket
VINELAND, New Jersey
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Printed for Walter Burre,. Very Good with no dust jacket. 1634. Fourth Edition. Hardcover. Engravings; Frontis date 1614 but appears to conform to ESTC points for 1634. Armorial book plate of Baron De Loon. 8 folding maps and plans often with repairs. Includes "Chronologicall table". Presumed 4th edition. Written during his imprisonment in the Tower of London, the History . Of the World is Sir Walter Raleigh's most important prose work. The book, originally intended as a multivolume project, covers the creation of the world to 146BC and aims to show history as a moral exercise. Initially, the work was intended to serve as an educational tool for Henry, Prince of Wales (1594-1612) and includes numerous references to warfare, law and kingship. Although Raleigh was imprisoned for treason, the book, due to its association with the Prince was entered on the Stationer's list of approved books in 1611 but following Henry's death in 1612, Raleigh was forced to bring the project to conclusion. The work, consisting of five books nearing one million words in total, was eventually published in 1614. The cynical nature of the work, and the contempt to which Raleigh holds monarchs throughout history brought the book to the attention of James I and the Archbishop of Canterbury, George Abbot, who immediately demanded copies to be seized and publication banned. These actions only served to increase demand. 8.5 x 12.75" bound in contemporary leather and [sympathetically rebacked later]. , 184, 181-555,  510, 515-669,   . Pagination erros at 185 [1st pagination], 323, 185 [2nd pagination], 471-3. Printed general title page with the large portrait of Raleigh. Engraved title page with a date had been removed by tis time. Mind of the Front printed recto of 2nd leaf. .
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log-in or Create an Account first!)
- poor mans books (US)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- The History Of The World. In Five Bookes. [1634 Maps, Illustrations)
- Ralegh [Raleigh], Sir Walter. 1552?-1618
- Book condition
- Used - Very Good with no dust jacket
- Fourth Edition
- Printed for Walter Burre,
- Date Published
Terms of Sale
poor mans books
14 days satisfaction guaranteed, period. NO foreign checks or money orders except for Postal Money Orders.
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since 2003
VINELAND, New Jersey
Ask Seller a Question
About poor mans books
We focus on rare and obscure material at highly competitive prices.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps... [More]
- having had the material covering the spine replaced. ... [More]
- The page on the right side of a book, with the term Verso used to describe the page on the left side.
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the... [More]
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,... [More]